Friday, July 8, 2011

5063 kilometers...

That's how far we traveled.  A trip that started on the northern outskirts of Brisbane, followed the coastline south to Sydney, diverted to the Snowy Mountains and returned north to Canberra.  From Canberra (the land of FREEZING cold!), to the magnificent Blue Mountains, avoiding the destructive winds, only just, to find ourselves traveling through Central NSW, north to Dubbo.  From the fun and adventure of Taronga Western Plains Zoo, further inland and north to Moree and their artesian waters.  And finally.  Yes... Finally, home today.

We started off in the dark and came home in the dark.  Home. Sweet. Home.  Now we can shake the dust from our boots, shower where you know the water temperature will be perfect and climb into heavenly, sweet smelling, clean sheets... sigh....  It's good to be home.

Home.  Where I know I won't have to wake to the kids calling out desperately that they need to go to the toilet.  Where I  know they can happily take themselves 3m to comfort and I won't have to worry about them stumbling in the dark, or me stumbling around, to find my boots among the scattered clothes on the camper trailer's floor, just so I can walk them in the cold and wind to the nearest amenities block.

Home.  Where when Cam calls out in the night, I know I can navigate to his room, the kitchen and do a lap around the lounge, all with my eyes shut.

Home.  Where I don't have to climb into the back of the car and twist myself into a pretzel, just to have access to a bottle of milk from the fridge.

Home.... sigh.

We certainly enjoyed our holiday.  We made wonderful memories and will talk about them for many, many years to come.  We saw our beautiful country and drank in the splendours that were offered to us.


 
We had adventures unique to each and everyone of us.
 


Some of them a little more memorable than most...


And we celebrated milestones, not just in kilometers but in years.



So after 5063 kilometers, we have found our way home.  We're a little grubbier than we started.  Certainly a lot more tired.  Hahahaha!  I've lost more fingernails than I care to count and I'm sure it will take months to get the dirt out from underneath!  Would we do it again?  Absolutely.  Thanks for following along with "Our Little Family"...x

5 comments:

Jules said...

Welcome home leanne!!! so glad you made it home safely (without further injury...;)) what a fantastic experience for you all, not to mention all that scrapping fodder. I'm sure we'll see some of these photos again in the weeks to come! enjoy a one more sleep in before the back-to-school chaos... xx

Jasmine S said...

All I have to say is "Oh You Lucky Duck".
What wonderful memories and photos.

Anonymous said...

Yes it is always great to go on a holiday but it is also good to get home too. Sounds like you all had a wonderful time with lots of memories that will last forever
Love Nannie

Kerryn said...

Sounds like an adventure and a half! And I'm sure it is good to be home :).

Kirsty said...

Oh wow!! What a trip!! Looks like a lot of fun was had by all! :)